During their four weeks in Belgium, the four young people from our Indonesian project will learn a lot about the world of work. They are introduced to the various services of Colruyt Group and are immersed in the logistics chain of one of the largest supermarkets in Belgium. In the meantime, they have also been working on their own internship project on the circular economy. An action-packed programme! Luckily, four nice host families are waiting to welcome them at the end of a busy day. Time to get to know the students better. Recently, when they were still studying, we asked them to tell us a little more about themselves. This is what they told us!
Herlin Farida Utami (Herlin)
- Age: 22
- Subject studied: accountancy
- Family: brother (8 years) and sister (16 years), my mother is a housewife, my dad a technician with a hotel
- Likes: singing/reading
- Favourite food: meatballs and gado-gado
- Future: I want to continue studying so that I can get a job with the government or run my own business.
“It's not often that you'll find me sitting down”
“I am a busy bee. I get up at 5 am every day, because I have a lot to do before I can leave for school. First I do a good job of cleaning my room. Then I help my mother in the kitchen. She can use all the help we give, because last year she was diagnosed as having heart disease. I jump in and help where I can. At 6.30 a.m. I take my brother and sister to school. Then I help my father. When he's not working at the hotel, he has a stall selling street food. I help him with the preparation. Then, around 9 o'clock, I get ready to go to the campus. After school, I also have a job helping out in a kitchen.
In my spare time, I'm with KNPI (National Youth Commission of Indonesia). That way I make lots of friends and have a positive effect on the lives of others.”
Syofiatu Mafudho (Sofi)
- Age: 23
- Subject studied: accountancy
- Family: brother (16 years), sister (28 years), my mom is a housewife, my dad is a security guard
- Hobbies reading, singing and cooking
- Favourite food: fried rice and spicy food
- Future: I want to continue studying and work as an accountant or start up my own business.
“I'm firing on all cylinders to achieve my dream”
“I like to help others. I've got that from my mother, I think. She's a housewife, but she's also very active in the community. For example, she visits the pregnant women in the neighbourhood every week and checks whether everything is all right with them. I myself am with an association that gives old paper a new purpose. We collect paper from friends and colleagues to sort and sell. The money we raise is used for environmental conservation projects.
After I get my diploma in accounting, I would like to continue studying. If I can't afford it, I'll work and at the same time, teach myself how to run my own business. It won't be easy, but I want to do everything to make my dream come true.”
Mega Dewi Lestari (Mega)
- Age: 22
- Subject studied:: accountancy
- Family: brother (26 years), my mom is a housewife and she has a small shop at home, my dad has passed away
- Hobbies singing
- Favourite food: meatballs and local delicacies
- Future: I want to continue studying. I want to become an accountant or entrepreneur.
“Not always easy, but I'm getting on with it”
“My father died three years ago. My mother doesn’t work, so she started up a small business working from home. She sells all kinds of household items such as toothpaste and shampoo. My brother and myself are still able to study. I am very grateful to my mother for that. My brother is currently working on his thesis, but also has a full-time job. I also work myself - first in a teaching environment, now as a cashier. That way I can save some money for the future.
I really want to become an expert in economics, for example in the government. So I hope I can continue my studies after my internship with Colruyt Group.”
Roihuddin Ahmad (Roi)
- Age: 21
- Subject studied: Islamic economy
- Family: 2 brothers (35 and 33 years), sister (24 years), my father is an Islamic pastor, my mother sells food from home
- Hobbies: singing
- Favourite food: noodles with chicken and meatballs
- Future: I want to become an economics expert or a teacher.
“Contact with other young people inspires me”
“My parents and I live with my sister. She is already married and has a four-year-old child. My parents have health problems and that is why my sister and I are taking care of them now. When my sister goes out to work, I babysit her daughter. My days are therefore filled from morning to night. I get up at 5 am to pray. Then I help doing chores around the house. Since my mother had a stroke, I also help her out with her work. Additionally, I also find time to study and take part in a number of associations. One of them is HIPMI, an organisation for young entrepreneurs. It’s very inspiring to be in contact with other people.”
Are you curious about the nuts and bolts of the internship of our four young people? Follow us on Instagram!